Compiling under Visual Studio Express 2010

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Hi,

I am trying to compile your code under visual studio express 2010 but I am getting the message

C:\StockAnalyzer\Stock Database\Stock Database.dbproj cannot be opened because its project type (.dbproj) is not supported by this version of the application. To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project.

I thought that as the project is open source, we could use the express version of c#.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Hello and thanks for being the first one to say anything :)

Even when the project is opensource the tools to do it are not, I'm working with the Visual Studio 2010 Premium. Anyway you really don't need the database project as it is used to generate a blank database for the first time and I'm providing a database with data within the project. Follow the installation instructions present at the site and unload the project from the solution to avoid the error message.
Feel free to ask anything.
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Thank you for quick answer,

Even deleting the database project don't solve the problem. It seems that Express version doesn't support folders as I am getting the message:

Solutions folder are not supported in this version of the application. Solutions folder 'Solutions Items'  will be displayed as unavailable.

The same message for 'Documentation' and StockAnalystIntegrationTests'.

I would stay within the expression version. Even at work, it is enough. But I  am working mainly in the R language.

PS: Why in Europe, we have to pay the double price for micro$oft products compared to USA?

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Well, I would say that you can do the same thing as before, you don't need neither the Solution folder nor the documentation nor the integration tests on the solution, just unload or delete them. You always can check their content by hand on the file system. I put them at the solution to have everything centered on one place.

About micro$oft ... they're not the only ones doing this, at least my company is buying the software in USA ... (I always like to have the best version of VS).
Feb 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Hi,

I downloaded the entire source code and loaded the solution..I get two projects "Stockanalyst" and "StockAnalyst2"? Are both the same? StockAnalyst2 run for me..but the other throws reference problems..I tried to add the missing references but it says "references are already present"..The next problem i met was abt the database..I'm using SQL Server2005 version bt I guess the backup database was created in  SQL Server 2008.Anyhow I managed to create the tables with the scripts bundled with the solution.Yet i'm not able to get any results from the screen..Is it mandatory to put in the user name and password for the application to work?

Thanks in advance..

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Hello and thanks for your insterest.

First of all, there is currently an evolution from version 1 to version 2 going on (almost done) and it has breaking changes that's why there are two Stock Analyst projectss. Stock Analyst project is currently being replaced by Stock Analyst 2.

There is an existing label at TFS called "First Beta Version" with the code that made the first version. Thant code can be built and run without problems. To download it connect to the TFS server and do a "Get specific version -> Select Label -> Find -> "First Beta Version"

About the database backup you're right, it has been done with SQL2008 (I'm not sure if there is a tool to migrate one backup to another version), anyway the SQL upgrade is worth the work. You can create the database with the provided scripts but then you will lack the collected data from the markets.

The application has two ways of working, one reading the data from the database (which you don't have because you're creating a db from scrach) or the other one taking the data from the Interdin provider and storing that data at the database to be able to analyze it latter (but then you need the username and password to connect to the provider).

Feel free to ask anything you need!

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Thanks somos for your quick reply..

I tried to connect to TFS server through VS2010 but it says my username and password are not valid credentials..So i'm continuing with offline mode..I'm going to check out the working of the database(historical data) after installing SQL server 2008 as the database is not backward campatible with the lower version(2005 SQL serv.)..Then in case of getting realtime data i guess this software gets data from europe stock markets..What if i need to get realtime data from Indian stock markets?..Do i have to look for a provider similiar to Interdin who provides indian stock market data? Can you upload the working video of getting realtime data from interdin(may be in youtube)? How much delay it takes to display the real time data? Does stock analyzer connects directly to the interdin server or fetches data from thier web page?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I'm connecting to TFS through VS2010 too. Anway you can donwload and execute the binaries of the version 1 availables at the downloads screen.

In case of realtime data the application gets all the information from the webpages of the selected provider (currently Interdin). You should check for another provider in India to get the indian stock markets, right. Then a new Accessor should be created to take their data and store it on the database. The accessor is the part of the application that has knowledge about how a provider publish their stock info into webpages and how to extract the information from them.

I would be more than glad to help you to create the new accessor when you find your desired provider. There is no delay in the application from the provider data.

Creating a youtube video looks as a good idea. I definitely will create one, thanks!

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thanks for your reply..

I'm currently checking out the providers who are providing Indian stock market data...If the application reads real time data from the web page its well and good.I would defnitley find a provider in India.I'm getting into the rest of the solution's source code..I'll defnitely post you my progress..Is there any other ways to connect TFS server?..

Thanks again..

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Great, if you're digging into the source code then I would advise you to forget about version 1 and go directly to version 2 (version 2 still has no data viewer, it's being done right now and it will finished in a week more or less).

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Fine...Please let me know when you update data viewer...thanks...

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM, somos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Great, if you're digging into the source code then I would advise you to forget about version 1 and go directly to version 2 (version 2 still has no data viewer, it's being done right now and it will finished in a week more or less).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (stockanalyzer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email stockanalyzer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
CHEERS,
YOGI

STAY HUNGRY ..STAY FOOLISH

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Hi somos..

Is it possible to get real time data from google finance site without time delay? May be by using thier API? In case if we cant use it check out "TradeTiger" - an application by sharekhan(:Provides real time data for indian markets)..I'm a member of sharekhan and i have username and password to connect to sharekhan..but only through the application(tradetiger)..Is it possible to create an accessor module to get real time data from tradetiger? And i'm going through the source code ...it would have been easy to understand if you had commented the source :)...Do you have any advice from where to start?

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hello Yogesh,

as far as I know Google finance offers Nasdaq information without time delay and we could use their data. The problem is that you never will be able to execute orders with them.

We probably could consume TradeTiger data just capturing some data with Wireshark, looking how it works and mimicking it. I would try to capture some data and take a look on it.

Regarding source code documentation ... I love it but I don't like mixing code documentation and code. I don't think it a good way to read a document thru lines of code. There is a separate documentation on the Documentation section of the web were almost all the classes are documented.

The definitive point to start with is the Stock Model project, for sure. It models everything.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Hi somos,

Well...I'm going through the documentation..its pretty well documented..Easy to understand..I exactly have no idea how t use WireShark thing..What you mean is that wireshark captures the packets sent and recieved..And by observing those patterns we could be able to build a similiar app to capture those packets and get the data? Anyways i'm downloading wireshark too..

I'm getting started with stockmodel...Thanks..
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Yes, wireshark captures all the network traffic and shows it to you. This way we can see what their application sends to request the data and we can send the same requests to take the data to our database as if we were their application.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM, yogesh_codeplex <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi somos,

Well...I'm going through the documentation..its pretty well documented..Easy to understand..I exactly have no idea how t use WireShark thing..What you mean is that wireshark captures the packets sent and recieved..And by observing those patterns we could be able to build a similiar app to capture those packets and get the data? Anyways i'm downloading wireshark too..

I'm getting started with stockmodel...Thanks..

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (stockanalyzer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email stockanalyzer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Impressive...

So you need login credentials to get into tradetiger...So if you need one i can provide my login details...pls key in your email id in case if you need such details..i'll mail 'em to you..I downloaded wireshark and i'm going through thier documentation..But can you tell me exactly how to track the packets send by an application(in our case tradetiger)...Am really excited to work on this project...Thanks..
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Hello again,

I can give it a try to tradetiger at the weekend but you should code the Accessor (I would give support to you, of course). I will ask you the usr/pass latter on.

To track the packets sent by tradetiger shutdown everything you can before stating Wireshark. Then start Wireshark and after starting capturing network traffic start tradetiger, you should see a big increase on network traffic and then you only need to select a packet sent by tradetiger, right click and "follow TCP stream" (or something like that).

The first thing to check is how tradetiger logs on their servers looking for the user and pass sent.

Yes, I find this challenge also very exciting, I've been working on it for several months in my spare time and I expect to continue with it. Anyway don't get fooled, it's a demanding job and you will need to work hard with it, is not something that you will get in a week.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM, yogesh_codeplex <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Impressive...

So you need login credentials to get into tradetiger...So if you need one i can provide my login details...pls key in your email id in case if you need such details..i'll mail 'em to you..I downloaded wireshark and i'm going through thier documentation..But can you tell me exactly how to track the packets send by an application(in our case tradetiger)...Am really excited to work on this project...Thanks..

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Agreed..but am a student..got lot of time...so by getting into project like this will be a great learning experience for me.. :)
All i need is your support as this is the first time i'm getting myself into a large project like this...
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM
You will have all my support. Anyway the main thing you need is inside yourself, perseverance, there will be times when thing gets boring or hard, anyway, if you know why you're doing this and what will be the benefits you will find the will to continue with the task.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM, yogesh_codeplex <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Agreed..but am a student..got lot of time...so by getting into project like this will be a great learning experience for me.. :)
All i need is your support as this is the first time i'm getting myself into a large project like this...

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Got it somos..Thanks for the advice...

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Can you give me the tiger user/pass? I will give it a look. My email is tuemail@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Hi somos,

Throughout the project i have never seen any GUI form you have used instead you went for XAML for creating the GUI ..Is there a reason behind this?

Cant this be done using the normal GUI form available in VS?

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Currently there are two technologies available for creating Windows applications with .Net, WinForms and WPF. The one you're talking about is WinForms but I'm using WPF in this project. You can read about them here:

Summarizing, WPF allows you to create code more organized where things aren't mixed and messed. To be honest, if you need to learn C#, WPF and stock market items probably this project is too much for you right now, I mean, there should be other projects way better to start learning the required concepts than this one. Anyway I will continue helping you with whatever you need!

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM, yogesh_codeplex <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi somos,

Throughout the project i have never seen any GUI form you have used instead you went for XAML for creating the GUI ..Is there a reason behind this?

Cant this be done using the normal GUI form available in VS?

May 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Edited May 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I have an error compiling under VS10 in the stock analyser 2

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Let me take a look, looks like the Taskbar Notification icon DLL is not present. Give me 10 minutes.

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Please, try again. I've fixed some projects and the main solution (I had some pending checkins) but nothing related with the DLL Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll This file should be present on the solution root folder. 

Two things to try:

Put the solution under C:\ to avoid problems with long paths.

Paste a full image as the complete messages cannot be seen.

Thanks!

May 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Edited May 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM

error

La génération a démarré 03-May-12 21:35:19.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1363,5): warning : The referenced project '..\FullDayStrategy\FullDayStrategy.csproj' does not exist.ResolveAssemblyReferences: 

Une liste d'exclusion de profil TargetFramework sera générée. 
Référence primaire "Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification".     
Impossible de trouver les fichiers dépendants. Le fichier attendu "C:\NotifyIconWpf\bin\Debug\Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll" n'existe pas.     
Impossible de trouver les fichiers dépendants. Le fichier attendu "C:\NotifyIconWpf\bin\Debug\Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll" n'existe pas.     
Le chemin de fichier résolu est "C:\NotifyIconWpf\bin\Debug\Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification.dll".     
Référence trouvée dans l'emplacement du chemin d'accès de recherche "".     
L'ImageRuntimeVersion pour cette référence est "".

C:\StockAnalyst 2\MainWindow.xaml(66,4): error MC1000: Erreur de build inconnue, 'MC3074 : la balise 'TaskbarIcon' n'existe pas dans l'espace de noms XML 'clr-namespace:Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification;assembly=Hardcodet.Wpf.TaskbarNotification'. Ligne 66 Position 4.' 

ÉCHEC de la build.

Temps écoulé 00:00:00.50========== Génération : 5 a réussi ou est à jour, 1 a échoué, 0 a été ignoré ==========

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Do a get latest version.

Anyway, do you have a NotifyIconWpf project in the solution? You shouldn't as the project was removed to include only the binary which is located on the solution root folder.

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Fixed. There was an old reference on the StockAnalyst2 project. Get the latest version

May 4, 2012 at 8:16 AM
tks

2012/5/4 somos <notifications@codeplex.com>

Fixed. There was an old reference on the StockAnalyst2 project. Get the latest version